Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Power Science Girls

Today I want to write a little bit about the power science girls: The Chemist (hey, that's the Theoretical Physical Chemist to YOU, the Physicist, the Physician, and me. I came up with the dorky name and I'm not sure that the others have really accepted it as a moniker, but they do love me so they let me get away with calling us that - at least in private. These are three of my very best friends from college - and indeed in the whole world. There are a few other super awesome very best friends from college (Sopje for one) but today we are talking about this gang. We are talking about them because I am very excited that we will be getting together at the end of this month for a birthday party! We try to get together at least two-three times a year and considering all of the schedules (and now children and husbands and fetuses and fiancees) involved this is a pretty amazing feat. So these ladies are some of my super heroes (with or without the catchy name). They help keep me sane when my world starts to fall apart, they make me laugh even when I want to cry, and they throw me happy birthday parties in Washington, DC so that I can watch the kite fighting at the kite festival (which, as we discovered last year at Heat's birthday, is one of my NFT's (new favorite things)).

In other news, I spent today helping out with the very busy gyn service. I got to work in the OR with The Boss, which is nothing short of magic. We had a nice case with some of our favorite OR staff and then I spent the afternoon hanging out with the cancer patients and seeing how everyone was doing. I have loved this month (research time, very flexible, pretty relaxed work load) but it was nice to get back in touch with the rest of my team and get a little surgery in.

And that is all I have for today. Power Science Girls - this post is for you! For my other wonderful friends that read this blog, please don't be upset. I am sure you will get your due. I am just super excited that I am going to be seeing la mas guappas del mundo very soon.

Turtlewoman

5 comments:

Sophie said...

what a great picture of everyone! lizzie, so good to see your smiling face again :-)
kite fighting, eh? you violent thing.. here in the hague, which is right at on the sea, there are tons of kite surfers. now that's something to watch too! man, they go fast, and high when they jump.
love,
sophie

Turtlewoman said...

They are a pretty good looking bunch, no? I had never seen kite fighting before last year, but it was pretty cool to watch. This goes on in the middle of the kite festival . . . think hundreds of kites in all different shapes and sizes (square pieces of paper to elaborate animal shapes in 3D) flying all around the Washington monument. It is really something to see. It would be neat to see these kite surfers . . . is that like a wind surfer or is it different?

Lizzie

Sophie said...

kite surfing's like regular board surfing (so not windsurfing as there's no sail), but then they strap this belt on, and attached to the belt is an enormous kite. they also have two steering lines in their hands, so that they don't surf off to england. :-) seeing as how it's really windy here most of the time, the kite makes them go extremely fast. they also do somersaults through the air and all that fancy stuff. quite interesting to watch!

Sophie said...

see also this picture.

Heather said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out, Turtlewoman! I am super excited about next weekend too. Your post made me smile, which is particularly nice today because I have a cold. Yuck.